Still Friday, July 6th, around 7:30 p.m. :
Last photos of the day --- I made and glued the end wedge.
First I cut the slot for the end wedge, using an Exacto knife (with a metal ruler as a guide) to scribe the edges, and then a chisel to remove the wood.
Next I cut and sanded the bloodwood wedge until the taper was right. Here I am checking its fit with the two white purfling lines on the sides.
Once I had the fit right, I carefully cut the wedge, so that it stands above and below the slot by the width of a purfling line. Then I glued it all in the slot with Titebond.
Tomorrow I will scrape it down and miter the ends of the white purfling line. When I install the binding in this section, I will need to cut the binding to fit this, so that the white lines will be mitered to each other.
I would say this is enough work for today. I am thankful it all went well!!!
Tomorrow....bending the binding!!! (I'm going to do it by hand.)
Saturday, July 7th, 2012:
This morning the first thing I did was to scrape down the end wedge and its purfling. Then I mitered the ends of the purfling lines: