Rubbing Out, Polishing, and Fingerboard

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013:

Well, yesterday I started the rubbing-out process. I had let the guitar sit for a week. I first leveled the finish (dry-sanding, as sometimes the waterbased lacquer doesn't do too well with wet-sanding) with 400 (very lightly), then 600-grit gold sandpaper. Even though I was very careful when sanding up toward the edges, I still managed to get a few sand-throughs. So, after I had leveled the entire guitar, throughout the rest of the day, I wiped on a few (probably 3 or 4) coats of finish to the sanded-through areas. Then I let the guitar sit for the rest of the day.

This morning (so far), I continued the rubbing-down process. I started with 1800-grit Micromesh (which is supposed to be equivalent to 600-grit sandpaper), wrapped around a foam block supplied with the kit. I was especially careful at the edges. Then, I moved through each of the remaining Micromesh grits (2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000), one-by-one, constantly wiping the surface with a soft cloth and wiping the surface of the Micromesh as I sanded. So far, I have done the back.

Here's what it looks like now (it will look even better later, when I polish it up further with Meguiar's #9 (Swirl Remover) and #7 (Show Car Glaze):

Now, on to the sides and top!!!






Sides - - - Well, it's about 11:30 a.m. now, and I have just finished rubbing down the sides. Here's a photo to show the difference between a simply leveled-down top (just with the 600-grit from yesterday) and a fully rubbed-out side:


Later . . . about 1:00 p.m. . . . I have finished rubbing-out the entire guitar. I also have polished it up with Meguiar's #9 and Meguiar's #7. Here it is:




After removing the masking tape from the soundhole, bridge area, and fingerboard area, I let the guitar sit a while. I then proceeded to fit the bone nut to the 3/16" slot, so I could have it there to support the nut end of the fingerboard. Finally, I glued the fingerboard to the top, cleaning off glue squeeze-out periodically after I had clamped it all up. Here it is at the moment:



I think that's enough for today. I will remove the clamps in about an hour. Then, tomorrow, I will probably glue on the bridge.

Okay, I lied. Couldn't resist including one more photo. Here it is, after I have removed the clamps. (I haven't glued the bridge yet --- that's for tomorrow --- I just placed it in its position so you could see how it will all look together.)




Return to HOME PAGE

  1. Finishing the Mold
  2. Top and Back Plates, Fingerboard and BridgeWood
  3. The Top: The Rosette
  4. Bracing: Days 1 & 2
  5. Bracing: Days 3 & 4
  6. Sides
  7. The Peghead
  8. Kerfing
  9. Side Braces, Fingerboard
  10. Completing the Box
  11. Preparing for Binding
  12. It's Binding Time!!!
  13. Continuing the Binding
  14. Making the Bridge
  15. Nut Slot, Endpin Jack Hole, Brushes & Z-poxy
  16. On to the Finish!!!
  17. Rubbing Out, Polishing, and Fingerboard
  18. Bridge, Pickup, and Set-up!!!
  19. It's Finished!!!