The Bridge

 Well, here's the part that I thought would be the hardest part.....making the classical bridge from scratch. I had no choice but to make one from scratch, as my weird classical is of a unique, weird size. However, when I actually set down to making the bridge, it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined it would be. It took me only a day. And it was fun! I pretty much followed Cumpiano's instructions on this part.

I started with this. . .

And ended up with this!!!

I did it all by hand, with a dovetail saw, an Exacto razor saw, files, some wood-carving chisels, and my little mini-chisels. I used some leftover bone saddles and the green veneer for the tie block top.



As you can see, the back corners of the bridge are rounded. That actually came about accidentally. I dropped the bridge and one of the corners chipped. So, rather than shorten the bridge on both sides, I chose to round the corners, on the back side only. I wanted to keep the front corners square, as that's what I will use to measure for the placement of the bridge later. is yet another way my classical is kind of weird...a non-traditionally-shaped bridge!

Again, I couldn't resist putting it all together to see what it will all look like when it's done.

Now, all I have to do is the finishing and setup.

School starts this Monday, so I'll fill the pores this weekend, put on the LMI finish next weekend, and rub it out and string it up the following weekend.....


 Go to :

  1. Planning & Mold
  2. Joining the Top & Making the Rosette
  3. Bracing the Top
  4. The Back
  5. The Sides
  6. The Soundbox
  7. The Neck
  8. Binding
  9. Shaping the Neck
  10. The Bridge
  11. The Finishing
  12. It's Finished!!!

(last updated 9/7/98)
Return to Projects Home Page