More Varnishing!!!

August 10-19, 2001



To those of you who have been wondering where I've been lately --- no, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth!!! I'm still here, working on the violin! One problem I have had lately, though, was that for several days either I couldn't access my ISP's ftp server to upload any new web pages, or you (or even I, for that matter) could not open up my web page with a browser. The reason for that was that my original ISP ( had been bought out by another company (, which in turn has been taken over by yet a third ISP (!!! The switchover of the JPS members' websites to the new servers has had its problems, but I think (fingers crossed) it has been fixed.

Another reason you haven't heard from me is that I really don't have anything much different in the way of photos to show you. I've just been doing coat after coat of the oil varnish, in the past week or so. I ended up putting on about six color coats of varnish. Today I just put on the first of the last two coats of varnish, this time clear varnish. Varnishing with oil varnish takes some time; I have had to wait at least 24 hours (longer is even better) before I can put on a new coat. Between each coat I have been giving it a light scuff-sanding.

Oh, well....let's put up some new photos anyway. As I added color coats, I decided that I liked the lighter color more and more (originally, I had intended to go for a more reddish-brown), so what you see in these photos is pretty much the color the final product will be.

You won't be seeing any more photos for probably two weeks or so --- after the second clear coat is applied, I have to wait at least a week or so before I do the final rubbing down and polishing of the finish. Then it will be time to attach all the fittings, adjust the bridge and nut, insert the soundpost, and string 'er up. It is going to be hard for me to wait that long..... But school's starting up again in one week, so I'm sure I'll have plenty to do to keep my mind occupied!


Here are some photos after the first clear coat has been applied.



Go to Next Page


Go back to Violin-Building Menu  


Return to Projects Home Page