My Oil Varnishing Experiment


I ordered a regular violin oil varnishing kit (red-brown) from International Violin Company (a Joha kit from Hammerl), of which I've seen good reviews. While I really love how my dyeing/French-polishing experiment came out on my third violin and my teeny-tiny violin, I thought I'd give traditional oil varnishing another try, just to see if I like it and if I can do better at it than I did way back in 2001, when I built my very first violin. (At that time, I really had no idea what I was doing!)

I ordered, off Amazon, another cheap ($90) Chinese violin-in-the-white, with a flamed maple back (because I really do want to see how the oil varnish will bring out the flame). (This violin kit also has all the fixings --- nice boxwood tailpiece, chin rest, and pegs, which is a plus.)



April 23rd, 2020:

I think I'll begin today by thoroughly sanding this violin.











Monday, July 27th, 2020:









Tuesday, July 28th, 2020:




Thursday, July 30th, 2020:








Table of Contents

Next Page