July 30th...I spent today doing the finishing. After carefully masking off the top of the fingerboard, and stuffing rags inside the soundbox, I sprayed the finish. I used the FSM waterborne urethane (the older formulation Luthiers Mercantile used to sell). I sprayed it with an HVLP spraygun connected to my little PowerPal air compressor. I sprayed a total of 10 coats. After every two coats, I scuff-sanded the finish, just leveling any high spots. After the 6th and 8th coats, I almost level-sanded it, with 220 grit sandpaper. Then I sprayed on the final two coats.

You don't see any pictures here, because I'm going to wait until I wet-sand and rub the finish out, which probably won't be until at least Thursday (four days from now).

In the meantime, I will be working on other little tasks, like making the pickguard, the truss rod cover, and the nut.

Next...Making the Pickguard

 See the Final Results!!!

Return to Projects Home Page